* The promotion of science and education through the application of the new technologies.
* Literacy for all with full respect for the social and cultural values of each community and the national aspirations of each country.
* Stimulate interdisciplinary educational programmes through the adoption of appropriate strategies, methods and materials.
* Identification of indicators for on-going professional development, effective communication and support for non-formal experiential education programmes.
* Development of a network of Universities, Colleges, Institutes, Faculties and other associated centres to facilitate and share innovations in education and help develop national systems of education.
* Promotion of the evaluation, auditing and monitoring of distance-education centres.
* Stimulation of staff exchange programmes between associated centres.
* Interchange of information on educational initiatives linked to development.
* Cooperation with other organisations in projects of mutual interest.